20 Useful Specialty Search Engines for Bible Scholars
If you want to study The Bible, you can do it the hard way with concordances, a few Bibles and reference books. Or, you can use one of the twenty search engines listed below. These search engines range from simple searches to portals that contain commentary and reference materials to entire directories that can take your searches even further.
- Bible Search Tool: This is an easy to use, accurate, and fast search tool that helps the user find information quickly. Searching for words or phrases in the selected text database is made easy by simply entering the words that you are looking for. You also can customize your search to find the Bible phrase or verse that you need.
- BibleLive: Search through twenty different Biblical options, including different languages. This search engine offers an advanced option and keyword and keyword phrase search ability.
- Gods View: Three simple search engines, including an online Bible search, a search engine for an online Bible concordance and a search engine for Bible text, King James version.
- Online Bible Search: Olive Tree Bible Software company offers an online Bible search to help in your Bible studies. Quickly search multiple Bible versions in your browser or conduct an advanced search with keywords and the ability to highlight search words or phrases.
- Simple Searches: This tool focuses on the King James version of the Bible, with several options to search for proximity, through a Boolean search, through citation searches and by browsing the Bible. This search engine is hosted by the University of Michigan.
- Simply Bible Search: The online Bible search engine on SimpyBibleSearch.com is a great way to search the Bible verses by topic. Find famous Bible Quotes by entering the words you remember. All search results are listed in the preferred translation.
- Bible.com: Tap into comprehensive Bible search tools with several contemporary versions of the Bible and a number of foreign language translations. The site is packed with Christian resources such as a daily devotional, a reading plan, a prayer room, newsletters, and a kid’s section.
- Bible.org: This site offers a wide range of free online Bible study and research tools, integrating searchable text, commentaries, articles, notes, a dictionary, word studies, interlinear text in Hebrew and Greek, and Strong’s Concordance linked terms.
- Bible Gateway: Do a quick search, or browse through a passage lookup, do a keyword search or look through a topical index. This gateway contains numerous resources for the Bible scholar.
- Bible Study Tools: Search the Web’s largest library of online Bible study resources, along with over 30 Bible translations. Use the search engine or browse through this gateway for a variety of tools to study the Bible. Comes with commentaries, encyclopedias, dictionaries and many more options.
- Blue Letter Bible: Conduct a search and enjoy updated interactive reference library from the teachings and commentaries of selected pastors and teachers who hold to the conservative, historical Christian faith. Also includes a long list of study tools, images, maps and devotionals. BLB now offers over 680,000 content pages of Bible study resources.
- Crosswalk: Although not as large or powerful as the Bible Gateway, this site provides a popular search engine that is user-friendly. Includes practical study tools such as an online study Bible, Interlinear Bible, Parallel Bible, commentaries, concordances, dictionaries, encyclopedias, lexicons, history, and sermon helps.
- Gospel Hall: Gospel Hall’s online tools gives you the ability to search the Bible in a parallel view with two versions side by side. Available translations include the King James Version, American Standard Version, Darby, Young’s Literal Translation, World English Bible, Bible in Basic English. You can also choose from commentaries, dictionaries and encyclopedias.
- Online Parallel Bible: This search engine is part of an online Bible that contains ten parallel translations. Conduct an advanced search, a multilingual search, or carry the Bible with you as a mobile option. Biblos.com is a production of the Online Parallel Bible Project. This project is privately owned and supported for the express purpose of sharing Bible study tools online.
- Search God’s Word: When you look up a particular verse, a list of links to commentaries, study notes and devotionals appears to the left of the passage for convenient and instant access. The site also offers daily Bible reading plans, Christian history, commentaries, dictionaries, concordances, encyclopedias, lexicons and sermon essentials.
- Study Light: This site claims to have more Bible commentaries, encyclopedias, dictionaries, parallel Bibles, interlinear Bibles, and original language tools than any other website on the Internet. It also has advanced search tools.
- Bible Search Engine: This page contains a number of Bible-based Web sites, including Billy Graham’s site and CTN (Christian Televised Network). As best as can be determined, (unless it’s a secular site) most of the churches and ministries listed should affirm there is one God, eternally existing in three Persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- Christian Search Engines & Directories: Use this site (three pages) to find any other search engine you might want to use. This site lists 197 search engines and directories.
- Christian Classics Ethereal Library: The Christian Classics Ethereal Library is a digital library of hundreds of classic Christian books selected for edification and education. Several million users use this online resource each year. CCEL texts are stored in proprietary Theological Markup Language, which is an XML application. Texts are converted automatically into other formats such as HTML or PDF.
- Christian Website: This site contains news and current events, but it also contains a directory filled with sites that range from affiliate programs to “free Christian stuff” and from home and family sites to travel. For scholars, check out the teacher resources, Internet resources, mega sties and church resources.
Did you enjoy this article?